Aliases for SLC25A24 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 25 Member 24 2 3 4 5
- APC1 2 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 25 (Mitochondrial Carrier; Phosphate Carrier), Member 24 2 3
- Mitochondrial Ca(2+)-Dependent Solute Carrier Protein 1 3 4
- Calcium-Binding Mitochondrial Carrier Protein SCaMC-1 3 4
- Small Calcium-Binding Mitochondrial Carrier Protein 1 3 4
- Mitochondrial ATP-Mg/Pi Carrier Protein 1 3 4
External Ids for SLC25A24 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC25A24 Gene
This gene encodes a carrier protein that transports ATP-Mg exchanging it for phosphate. Multiple transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for this gene. [provided by RefSeq, May 2012]
GeneCards Summary for SLC25A24 Gene
SLC25A24 (Solute Carrier Family 25 Member 24) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC25A24 include Fontaine Progeroid Syndrome and Progeroid Syndrome. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include calcium ion binding and ATP transmembrane transporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC25A25.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for SLC25A24 Gene
Calcium-dependent mitochondrial solute carrier. Mediates the reversible, electroneutral exchange of Mg-ATP or Mg-ADP against phosphate ions, catalyzing the net uptake or efflux of adenine nucleotides across the mitochondrial inner membrane. Nucleotide transport is inactive when cytosolic calcium levels are low, and is activated by an increase in cytosolic calcium levels. May play a role in protecting cells against oxidative stress-induced cell death, probably by promoting the formation of calcium-phosphate precipitates in the mitochondrial matrix, and thereby buffering calcium levels in the mitochondrial matrix.