Aliases for PPP2R2B Gene
- Protein Phosphatase 2 Regulatory Subunit Bbeta 2 3 5
- Serine/Threonine-Protein Phosphatase 2A 55 KDa Regulatory Subunit B Beta Isoform 3 4
- Protein Phosphatase 2 (Formerly 2A), Regulatory Subunit B (PR 52), Beta Isoform 2 3
- PP2A Subunit B Isoform PR55-Beta 3 4
- PP2A Subunit B Isoform B55-Beta 3 4
- PP2A Subunit B Isoform R2-Beta 3 4
- PP2A Subunit B Isoform Beta 2 4
- PR55-BETA 2 3
- PR52B 2 3
- Serine/Threonine Protein Phosphatase 2A, 55 KDa Regulatory Subunit B, Beta Isoform 3
- Protein Phosphatase 2 (Formerly 2A), Regulatory Subunit B, Beta Isoform 3
- Serine/Threonine Protein Phosphatase 2A, Neuronal Isoform 3
- Protein Phosphatase 2, Regulatory Subunit B, Beta 3
External Ids for PPP2R2B Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for PPP2R2B Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for PPP2R2B Gene
The product of this gene belongs to the phosphatase 2 regulatory subunit B family. Protein phosphatase 2 is one of the four major Ser/Thr phosphatases, and it is implicated in the negative control of cell growth and division. It consists of a common heteromeric core enzyme, which is composed of a catalytic subunit and a constant regulatory subunit, that associates with a variety of regulatory subunits. The B regulatory subunit might modulate substrate selectivity and catalytic activity. This gene encodes a beta isoform of the regulatory subunit B55 subfamily. Defects in this gene cause autosomal dominant spinocerebellar ataxia 12 (SCA12), a disease caused by degeneration of the cerebellum, sometimes involving the brainstem and spinal cord, and in resulting in poor coordination of speech and body movements. Multiple alternatively spliced variants, which encode different isoforms, have been identified for this gene. The 5' UTR of some of these variants includes a CAG trinucleotide repeat sequence (7-28 copies) that can be expanded to 55-78 copies in cases of SCA12. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2016]
GeneCards Summary for PPP2R2B Gene
PPP2R2B (Protein Phosphatase 2 Regulatory Subunit Bbeta) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with PPP2R2B include Spinocerebellar Ataxia 12 and Spinocerebellar Ataxia 17. Among its related pathways are Signal transduction_PKA signaling and p70S6K Signaling. An important paralog of this gene is PPP2R2C.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for PPP2R2B Gene
The B regulatory subunit might modulate substrate selectivity and catalytic activity, and also might direct the localization of the catalytic enzyme to a particular subcellular compartment. Within the PP2A holoenzyme complex, isoform 2 is required to promote proapoptotic activity (By similarity). Isoform 2 regulates neuronal survival through the mitochondrial fission and fusion balance (By similarity).
Protein Ser/Thr phosphatases are a group of enzymes that catalyze the removal of phosphate groups from serine and/or threonine residues by hydrolysis of phosphoric acid monoesters. They oppose the action of kinases and phosphorylases and are involved in signal transduction.