Aliases for IRF9 Gene
- Interferon Regulatory Factor 9 2 3 4 5
- Interferon-Stimulated Transcription Factor 3, Gamma (48kD) 2 3
- Interferon-Stimulated Transcription Factor 3, Gamma 48kDa 2 3
- IFN-Alpha-Responsive Transcription Factor Subunit 3 4
- Transcriptional Regulator ISGF3 Subunit Gamma 3 4
- Interferon-Stimulated Gene Factor 3 Gamma 3 4
External Ids for IRF9 Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for IRF9 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for IRF9 Gene
GeneCards Summary for IRF9 Gene
IRF9 (Interferon Regulatory Factor 9) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with IRF9 include Immunodeficiency 65 Viral Infections and Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis. Among its related pathways are Interferon Pathway and JAK-STAT signaling pathway. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include DNA-binding transcription factor activity. An important paralog of this gene is IRF8.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for IRF9 Gene
Transcription factor that plays an essential role in anti-viral immunity. It mediates signaling by type I IFNs (IFN-alpha and IFN-beta). Following type I IFN binding to cell surface receptors, Jak kinases (TYK2 and JAK1) are activated, leading to tyrosine phosphorylation of STAT1 and STAT2. IRF9/ISGF3G associates with the phosphorylated STAT1:STAT2 dimer to form a complex termed ISGF3 transcription factor, that enters the nucleus. ISGF3 binds to the IFN stimulated response element (ISRE) to activate the transcription of interferon stimulated genes, which drive the cell in an antiviral state.