Aliases for HMGN1 Gene
- High Mobility Group Nucleosome Binding Domain 1 2 3 5
- High Mobility Group Nucleosome-Binding Domain-Containing Protein 1 3 4
- High-Mobility Group (Nonhistone Chromosomal) Protein 14 2 3
- High-Mobility Group Nucleosome Binding 1 2 3
- Non-Histone Chromosomal Protein HMG-14 3 4
- Nonhistone Chromosomal Protein HMG-14 2 3
External Ids for HMGN1 Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for HMGN1 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for HMGN1 Gene
The protein encoded by this gene binds nucleosomal DNA and is associated with transcriptionally active chromatin. Along with a similar protein, HMG17, the encoded protein may help maintain an open chromatin configuration around transcribable genes. [provided by RefSeq, Aug 2011]
GeneCards Summary for HMGN1 Gene
HMGN1 (High Mobility Group Nucleosome Binding Domain 1) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with HMGN1 include Cockayne Syndrome and Down Syndrome. Among its related pathways are Transcription-Coupled Nucleotide Excision Repair (TC-NER) and Chromatin Regulation / Acetylation. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include chromatin binding and nucleosomal DNA binding. An important paralog of this gene is HMGN2.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for HMGN1 Gene
Binds to the inner side of the nucleosomal DNA thus altering the interaction between the DNA and the histone octamer. May be involved in the process which maintains transcribable genes in a unique chromatin conformation. Inhibits the phosphorylation of nucleosomal histones H3 and H2A by RPS6KA5/MSK1 and RPS6KA3/RSK2 (By similarity).