Aliases for HBD Gene
External Ids for HBD Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for HBD Gene
The delta (HBD) and beta (HBB) genes are normally expressed in the adult: two alpha chains plus two beta chains constitute HbA, which in normal adult life comprises about 97% of the total hemoglobin. Two alpha chains plus two delta chains constitute HbA-2, which with HbF comprises the remaining 3% of adult hemoglobin. Five beta-like globin genes are found within a 45 kb cluster on chromosome 11 in the following order: 5'-epsilon--Ggamma--Agamma--delta--beta-3'. Mutations in the delta-globin gene are associated with beta-thalassemia. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
GeneCards Summary for HBD Gene
HBD (Hemoglobin Subunit Delta) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with HBD include Hemoglobin Lepore-Beta-Thalassemia Syndrome and Fetal Hemoglobin Quantitative Trait Locus 1. Among its related pathways are Response to elevated platelet cytosolic Ca2+ and Factors involved in megakaryocyte development and platelet production. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include iron ion binding and oxygen binding. An important paralog of this gene is HBB.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for HBD Gene
Involved in oxygen transport from the lung to the various peripheral tissues.