Aliases for GCN1 Gene
- GCN1 Activator Of EIF2AK4 2 3 5
- GCN1 (General Control Of Amino-Acid Synthesis 1, Yeast)-Like 1 2 3
- General Control Of Amino-Acid Synthesis 1-Like Protein 1 3 4
- GCN1, EIF2 Alpha Kinase Activator Homolog 2 3
- GCN1 EIF-2-Alpha Kinase Activator Homolog 3 4
- EIF-2-Alpha Kinase Activator GCN1 3 4
- Translational Activator GCN1 3 4
- GCN1-Like Protein 1 3 4
External Ids for GCN1 Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for GCN1 Gene
GeneCards Summary for GCN1 Gene
GCN1 (GCN1 Activator Of EIF2AK4) is a Protein Coding gene. An important paralog of this gene is ECPAS.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for GCN1 Gene
Acts as a positive activator of the EIF2AK4/GCN2 protein kinase activity in response to amino acid starvation. Forms a complex with EIF2AK4/GCN2 on translating ribosomes; during this process, GCN1 seems to act as a chaperone to facilitate delivery of uncharged tRNAs that enter the A site of ribosomes to the tRNA-binding domain of EIF2AK4/GCN2, and hence stimulating EIF2AK4/GCN2 kinase activity. Participates in the repression of global protein synthesis and in gene-specific mRNA translation activation, such as the transcriptional activator ATF4, by promoting the EIF2AK4/GCN2-mediated phosphorylation of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 2 (eIF-2-alpha/EIF2S1) on 'Ser-52', and hence allowing ATF4-mediated reprogramming of amino acid biosynthetic gene expression to alleviate nutrient depletion.