Aliases for GALNT8 Gene
- Polypeptide N-Acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 8 2 3 5
- Polypeptide GalNAc Transferase 8 2 3 4
- UDP-N-Acetyl-Alpha-D-Galactosamine:Polypeptide N-Acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 8 (GalNAc-T8) 2 3
- Protein-UDP Acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 8 3 4
- Pp-GaNTase 8 3 4
- UDP-GalNAc: Polypeptide N-Acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 8 3
- UDP-GalNAc:Polypeptide N-Acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 8 4
External Ids for GALNT8 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for GALNT8 Gene
This gene encodes a member of the UDP-N-acetyl-alpha-D-galactosamine:polypeptide N-acetylgalactosaminyltransferase (GalNAc-T) family of enzymes. GalNAc-Ts initiate mucin-type O-linked glycosylation in the Golgi apparatus by catalyzing the transfer of GalNAc to serine and threonine residues on target proteins. They are characterized by an N-terminal transmembrane domain, a stem region, a lumenal catalytic domain containing a GT1 motif and Gal/GalNAc transferase motif, and a C-terminal ricin/lectin-like domain. GalNAc-Ts have different, but overlapping, substrate specificities and patterns of expression. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
GeneCards Summary for GALNT8 Gene
GALNT8 (Polypeptide N-Acetylgalactosaminyltransferase 8) is a Protein Coding gene. Among its related pathways are Mucin type O-glycan biosynthesis and O-linked glycosylation. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include carbohydrate binding and voltage-gated potassium channel activity. An important paralog of this gene is GALNT18.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for GALNT8 Gene
Probably catalyzes the initial reaction in O-linked oligosaccharide biosynthesis, the transfer of an N-acetyl-D-galactosamine residue to a serine or threonine residue on the protein receptor.