Aliases for EIF4E2 Gene
- Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor 4E Family Member 2 2 3 5
- Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor 4E-Like 3 2 3 4
- Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor 4E Homologous Protein 3 4
- Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor 4E Type 2 3 4
- MRNA Cap-Binding Protein Type 3 3 4
- EIF4E-Like Protein 4E-LP 3 4
- EIF-4E Type 2 3 4
External Ids for EIF4E2 Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for EIF4E2 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for EIF4E2 Gene
GeneCards Summary for EIF4E2 Gene
EIF4E2 (Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor 4E Family Member 2) is a Protein Coding gene. Among its related pathways are Longevity regulating pathway and Regulation of lipid metabolism Insulin signaling-generic cascades. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include ubiquitin protein ligase binding. An important paralog of this gene is EIF4E.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for EIF4E2 Gene
Recognizes and binds the 7-methylguanosine-containing mRNA cap during an early step in the initiation (PubMed:9582349, PubMed:17368478, PubMed:25624349). Acts as a repressor of translation initiation (PubMed:22751931). In contrast to EIF4E, it is unable to bind eIF4G (EIF4G1, EIF4G2 or EIF4G3), suggesting that it acts by competing with EIF4E and block assembly of eIF4F at the cap (By similarity).