Aliases for ALKBH4 Gene
- AlkB Homolog 4, Lysine Demethylase 2 3 5
- Alpha-Ketoglutarate-Dependent Dioxygenase AlkB Homolog 4 3 4
- Alkylated DNA Repair Protein AlkB Homolog 4 3 4
- DNA N6-Methyl Adenine Demethylase ALKBH4 3 4
- Lysine-Specific Demethylase ALKBH4 3 4
- ABH4 3 4
- Probable Alpha-Ketoglutarate-Dependent Dioxygenase ABH4 3
External Ids for ALKBH4 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for ALKBH4 Gene
GeneCards Summary for ALKBH4 Gene
ALKBH4 (AlkB Homolog 4, Lysine Demethylase) is a Protein Coding gene. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include actin binding and oxidoreductase activity, acting on paired donors, with incorporation or reduction of molecular oxygen, 2-oxoglutarate as one donor, and incorporation of one atom each of oxygen into both donors.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for ALKBH4 Gene
Dioxygenase that mediates demethylation of actin monomethylated at 'Lys-84' (K84me1), thereby acting as a regulator of actomyosin-processes (PubMed:23673617). Demethylation of actin K84me1 is required for maintaining actomyosin dynamics supporting normal cleavage furrow ingression during cytokinesis and cell migration (PubMed:23673617). In addition to proteins, also demethylates DNA: specifically demethylates DNA methylated on the 6th position of adenine (N(6)-methyladenosine) DNA, thereby regulating Polycomb silencing (By similarity).