Aliases for MGAT4A Gene
- Alpha-1,3-Mannosyl-Glycoprotein 4-Beta-N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase A 2 3 4 5
- UDP-N-Acetylglucosamine: Alpha-1,3-D-Mannoside Beta-1,4-N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase IVa 3 4
- Mannosyl (Alpha-1,3-)-Glycoprotein Beta-1,4-N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase, Isoenzyme A 2 3
- Mannosyl (Alpha-1,3-)-Glycoprotein Beta-1,4-N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase, Isozyme A 2 3
- N-Glycosyl-Oligosaccharide-Glycoprotein N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase IVa 3 4
- N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase IVa 3 4
- GlcNAc-T IVa 3 4
External Ids for MGAT4A Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for MGAT4A Gene
This gene encodes a key glycosyltransferase that regulates the formation of tri- and multiantennary branching structures in the Golgi apparatus. The encoded protein, in addition to the related isoenzyme B, catalyzes the transfer of N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc) from UDP-GlcNAc in a beta-1,4 linkage to the Man-alpha-1,3-Man-beta-1,4-GlcNAc arm of R-Man-alpha-1,6(GlcNAc-beta-1,2-Man-alpha-1,3)Man-beta-1,4-GlcNAc-beta-1,4-GlcNAc-beta-1-Asn. The encoded protein may play a role in regulating the availability of serum glycoproteins, oncogenesis, and differentiation. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
GeneCards Summary for MGAT4A Gene
MGAT4A (Alpha-1,3-Mannosyl-Glycoprotein 4-Beta-N-Acetylglucosaminyltransferase A) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with MGAT4A include Choriocarcinoma and Congenital Disorder Of Glycosylation, Type Iia. Among its related pathways are Metabolism of proteins and Transport to the Golgi and subsequent modification. Gene Ontology (GO) annotations related to this gene include transferase activity, transferring hexosyl groups and alpha-1,3-mannosylglycoprotein 4-beta-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase activity. An important paralog of this gene is MGAT4B.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot Summary for MGAT4A Gene
Glycosyltransferase that participates in the transfer of N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc) to the core mannose residues of N-linked glycans. Catalyzes the formation of the GlcNAcbeta1-4 branch on the GlcNAcbeta1-2Manalpha1-3 arm of the core structure of N-linked glycans. Essential for the production of tri- and tetra-antennary N-linked sugar chains. Involved in glucose transport by mediating SLC2A2/GLUT2 glycosylation, thereby controlling cell-surface expression of SLC2A2 in pancreatic beta cells.