Aliases for SLC23A1 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 23 Member 1 2 3
- Solute Carrier Family 23 (Ascorbic Acid Transporter), Member 1 2 3 5
- Solute Carrier Family 23 (Nucleobase Transporters), Member 2 2 3
- Sodium-Dependent Vitamin C Transporter 1 3 4
- Na(+)/L-Ascorbic Acid Transporter 1 3 4
- Yolk Sac Permease-Like Molecule 3 3 4
- HSVCT1 3 4
External Ids for SLC23A1 Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for SLC23A1 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC23A1 Gene
The absorption of vitamin C into the body and its distribution to organs requires two sodium-dependent vitamin C transporters. This gene encodes one of the two transporters. The encoded protein is active in bulk vitamin C transport involving epithelial surfaces. Previously, this gene had an official symbol of SLC23A2. Alternatively spliced transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for this gene. [provided by RefSeq, Dec 2008]
GeneCards Summary for SLC23A1 Gene
SLC23A1 (Solute Carrier Family 23 Member 1) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC23A1 include scurvy. Among its related pathways are Metabolism and Metabolism of water-soluble vitamins and cofactors. GO annotations related to this gene include transporter activity and dehydroascorbic acid transporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC23A3.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC23A1 Gene
Sodium/ascorbate cotransporter. Mediates electrogenic uptake of vitamin C, with a stoichiometry of 2 Na(+) for each ascorbate.