Aliases for BMI1 Gene
- BMI1 Proto-Oncogene, Polycomb Ring Finger 2 3
- Polycomb Group RING Finger Protein 4 3 4
- PCGF4 3 4
- RNF51 3 4
- B Lymphoma Mo-MLV Insertion Region 1 Homolog (Mouse) 2
- Murine Leukemia Viral (Bmi-1) Oncogene Homolog 3
- B Lymphoma Mo-MLV Insertion Region 1 Homolog 3
- BMI1 Polycomb Ring Finger Proto-Oncogene 3
- BMI1 Polycomb Ring Finger Oncogene 3
External Ids for BMI1 Gene
Previous Symbols for BMI1 Gene
GeneCards Summary for BMI1 Gene
BMI1 (BMI1 Proto-Oncogene, Polycomb Ring Finger) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with BMI1 include erythroplakia and embryonal cancer. Among its related pathways are MicroRNAs in cancer and Cellular Senescence. GO annotations related to this gene include RING-like zinc finger domain binding. An important paralog of this gene is PCGF3.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for BMI1 Gene
Component of a Polycomb group (PcG) multiprotein PRC1-like complex, a complex class required to maintain the transcriptionally repressive state of many genes, including Hox genes, throughout development. PcG PRC1 complex acts via chromatin remodeling and modification of histones; it mediates monoubiquitination of histone H2A Lys-119, rendering chromatin heritably changed in its expressibility. In the PRC1 complex, it is required to stimulate the E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase activity of RNF2/RING2.