Aliases for SLC17A7 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 17 (Vesicular Glutamate Transporter), Member 7 2 3
- Solute Carrier Family 17 (Sodium-Dependent Inorganic Phosphate Cotransporter), Member 7 2 3
- Brain-Specific Na(+)-Dependent Inorganic Phosphate Cotransporter 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 17 Member 7 3 4
- VGLUT1 3 4
- BNPI 3 4
- Brain-Specific Na-Dependent Inorganic Phosphate Cotransporter 3
- Vesicular Glutamate Transporter 1 2
External Ids for SLC17A7 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC17A7 Gene
The protein encoded by this gene is a vesicle-bound, sodium-dependent phosphate transporter that is specifically expressed in the neuron-rich regions of the brain. It is preferentially associated with the membranes of synaptic vesicles and functions in glutamate transport. The protein shares 82% identity with the differentiation-associated Na-dependent inorganic phosphate cotransporter and they appear to form a distinct class within the Na+/Pi cotransporter family. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
GeneCards Summary for SLC17A7 Gene
SLC17A7 (Solute Carrier Family 17 (Vesicular Glutamate Transporter), Member 7) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC17A7 include schizophrenia. Among its related pathways are Transport of glucose and other sugars, bile salts and organic acids, metal ions and amine compounds and Neuroscience. GO annotations related to this gene include L-glutamate transmembrane transporter activity and inorganic phosphate transmembrane transporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC17A8.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC17A7 Gene
Mediates the uptake of glutamate into synaptic vesicles at presynaptic nerve terminals of excitatory neural cells. May also mediate the transport of inorganic phosphate.