Aliases for PPP2R1A Gene
- Protein Phosphatase 2 Scaffold Subunit Aalpha 2 3 5
- Protein Phosphatase 2 (Formerly 2A), Regulatory Subunit A (PR 65), Alpha Isoform 2 3
- Protein Phosphatase 2A Structural Subunit A, Alpha Isoform 2 3
- PP2A Subunit A Isoform PR65-Alpha 3 4
- PP2A Subunit A Isoform R1-Alpha 3 4
- Serine/Threonine Protein Phosphatase 2A, 65 KDa Regulatory Subunit A, Alpha Isoform 3
- Serine/Threonine-Protein Phosphatase 2A 65 KDa Regulatory Subunit A Alpha Isoform 3
- Protein Phosphatase 2A, Regulatory Subunit A, Alpha Isoform 2
- Protein Phosphatase 2, Regulatory Subunit A, Alpha 3
- Protein Phosphatase 2, 65kDa Regulatory Subunit A 2
External Ids for PPP2R1A Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for PPP2R1A Gene
This gene encodes a constant regulatory subunit of protein phosphatase 2. Protein phosphatase 2 is one of the four major Ser/Thr phosphatases, and it is implicated in the negative control of cell growth and division. It consists of a common heteromeric core enzyme, which is composed of a catalytic subunit and a constant regulatory subunit, that associates with a variety of regulatory subunits. The constant regulatory subunit A serves as a scaffolding molecule to coordinate the assembly of the catalytic subunit and a variable regulatory B subunit. This gene encodes an alpha isoform of the constant regulatory subunit A. Alternatively spliced transcript variants have been described. [provided by RefSeq, Apr 2010]
GeneCards Summary for PPP2R1A Gene
PPP2R1A (Protein Phosphatase 2 Scaffold Subunit Aalpha) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with PPP2R1A include Mental Retardation, Autosomal Dominant 36 and Ovarian Clear Cell Carcinoma. Among its related pathways are DNA Damage and Regulation of PLK1 Activity at G2/M Transition. GO annotations related to this gene include protein heterodimerization activity and antigen binding. An important paralog of this gene is PPP2R1B.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for PPP2R1A Gene
The PR65 subunit of protein phosphatase 2A serves as a scaffolding molecule to coordinate the assembly of the catalytic subunit and a variable regulatory B subunit. Upon interaction with GNA12 promotes dephosphorylation of microtubule associated protein TAU/MAPT (PubMed:15525651). Required for proper chromosome segregation and for centromeric localization of SGO1 in mitosis (PubMed:16580887).
Protein Ser/Thr phosphatases are a group of enzymes that catalyze the removal of phosphate groups from serine and/or threonine residues by hydrolysis of phosphoric acid monoesters. They oppose the action of kinases and phosphorylases and are involved in signal transduction.