Aliases for CHRNA5 Gene
- Cholinergic Receptor Nicotinic Alpha 5 Subunit 2 3
- Cholinergic Receptor, Nicotinic Alpha 5 2 3 5
- Cholinergic Receptor, Nicotinic, Alpha 5 (Neuronal) 2 3
- Cholinergic Receptor, Neuronal Nicotinic, Alpha Polypeptide-5 3
- Neuronal Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor, Alpha5 Subunit 3
- Acetylcholine Receptor, Nicotinic, Alpha 5 (Neuronal) 3
- Cholinergic Receptor, Nicotinic, Alpha Polypeptide 5 2
External Ids for CHRNA5 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for CHRNA5 Gene
The protein encoded by this gene is a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit and a member of a superfamily of ligand-gated ion channels that mediate fast signal transmission at synapses. These receptors are thought to be heteropentamers composed of separate but similar subunits. Defects in this gene have been linked to susceptibility to lung cancer type 2 (LNCR2).[provided by RefSeq, Jun 2010]
GeneCards Summary for CHRNA5 Gene
CHRNA5 (Cholinergic Receptor Nicotinic Alpha 5 Subunit) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with CHRNA5 include lung cancer susceptibility 2 and substance dependence. Among its related pathways are Peptide ligand-binding receptors and Nicotine Pathway (Dopaminergic Neuron), Pharmacodynamics. GO annotations related to this gene include extracellular ligand-gated ion channel activity and ligand-gated ion channel activity. An important paralog of this gene is CHRNA3.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for CHRNA5 Gene
After binding acetylcholine, the AChR responds by an extensive change in conformation that affects all subunits and leads to opening of an ion-conducting channel across the plasma membrane.