Aliases for SLC6A8 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 8 2 3 4 5
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter, Creatine), Member 8 2 3
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter), Member 8 2 3
- Creatine Transporter 1 3 4
- CT1 3 4
- Sodium- And Chloride-Dependent Creatine Transporter 1 3
- Creatine Transporter SLC6A8 Variant D 3
External Ids for SLC6A8 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC6A8 Gene
The protein encoded by this gene is a plasma membrane protein whose function is to transport creatine into and out of cells. Defects in this gene can result in X-linked creatine deficiency syndrome. Multiple transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for this gene. [provided by RefSeq, Dec 2008]
GeneCards Summary for SLC6A8 Gene
SLC6A8 (Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 8) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC6A8 include Cerebral Creatine Deficiency Syndrome 1 and Slc6a8-Related Creatine Transporter Deficiency. Among its related pathways are Metabolism and Regulation of activated PAK-2p34 by proteasome mediated degradation. GO annotations related to this gene include neurotransmitter:sodium symporter activity and creatine:sodium symporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC6A20.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC6A8 Gene
Required for the uptake of creatine in muscles and brain.