Aliases for SLC6A17 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 17 2 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neutral Amino Acid Transporter), Member 17 2 3 5
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter), Member 17 2 3
- Sodium-Dependent Neurotransmitter Transporter NTT4 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 6, Member 17 2 3
- NTT4 3 4
- Orphan Sodium- And Chloride-Dependent Neurotransmitter Transporter NTT4 3
- MRT48 3
External Ids for SLC6A17 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC6A17 Gene
The SLC6 family of proteins, which includes SLC6A17, acts as specific transporters for neurotransmitters, amino acids, and osmolytes like betaine, taurine, and creatine. SLC6 proteins are sodium cotransporters that derive the energy for solute transport from the electrochemical gradient for sodium ions (Hoglund et al., 2005 [PubMed 16125675]).[supplied by OMIM, Mar 2008]
GeneCards Summary for SLC6A17 Gene
SLC6A17 (Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 17) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC6A17 include Mental Retardation, Autosomal Recessive 48 and Autosomal Recessive Non-Syndromic Intellectual Disability. GO annotations related to this gene include neurotransmitter:sodium symporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC6A18.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC6A17 Gene
Functions as a sodium-dependent vesicular transporter selective for proline, glycine, leucine and alanine. In contrast to other members of this neurotransmitter transporter family, does not appear to be chloride-dependent (By similarity).