Aliases for SLC6A12 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 12 2 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter), Member 12 2 3 5
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter, Betaine/GABA), Member 12 2 3
- Na(+)/Cl(-) Betaine/GABA Transporter 3 4
- Betaine/GABA Transporter-1 2 3
- BGT-1 3 4
- Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid Transporter 3
- BGT1 3
- GAT2 3
External Ids for SLC6A12 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC6A12 Gene
GeneCards Summary for SLC6A12 Gene
SLC6A12 (Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 12) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC6A12 include traumatic glaucoma and spinocerebellar ataxia 11. Among its related pathways are Metabolism and Transport of glucose and other sugars, bile salts and organic acids, metal ions and amine compounds. GO annotations related to this gene include neurotransmitter:sodium symporter activity and gamma-aminobutyric acid:sodium symporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC6A4.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC6A12 Gene
Transports betaine and GABA. May have a role in regulation of GABAergic transmission in the brain through the reuptake of GABA into presynaptic terminals, as well as in osmotic regulation.
GABA transporters are sodium- and chloride-dependent members of the solute carrier family 6 (SLC6) that mediate the rapid removal of GABA and maintain low extracellular levels. Four 12-TM domain transporters have been identified and localized to neurons and glia.