Aliases for SLC6A12 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 12 2 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter), Member 12 2 3 5
- Solute Carrier Family 6 (Neurotransmitter Transporter, Betaine/GABA), Member 12 2 3
- Na(+)/Cl(-) Betaine/GABA Transporter 3 4
- Betaine/GABA Transporter-1 2 3
- BGT-1 3 4
- Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid Transporter 3
- BGT1 3
- GAT2 3
External Ids for SLC6A12 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC6A12 Gene
GeneCards Summary for SLC6A12 Gene
SLC6A12 (Solute Carrier Family 6 Member 12) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC6A12 include Traumatic Glaucoma and Spinocerebellar Ataxia 11. Among its related pathways are Transmission across Chemical Synapses and CDK-mediated phosphorylation and removal of Cdc6. GO annotations related to this gene include neurotransmitter:sodium symporter activity and gamma-aminobutyric acid:sodium symporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC6A4.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC6A12 Gene
Transports betaine and GABA. May have a role in regulation of GABAergic transmission in the brain through the reuptake of GABA into presynaptic terminals, as well as in osmotic regulation.
GABA transporters are sodium- and chloride-dependent members of the solute carrier family 6 (SLC6) that mediate the rapid removal of GABA and maintain low extracellular levels. Four 12-TM domain transporters have been identified and localized to neurons and glia.