Aliases for SLC5A11 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 5 Member 11 2 3 4 5
- Solute Carrier Family 5 (Sodium/Inositol Cotransporter), Member 11 2 3
- Solute Carrier Family 5 (Sodium/Glucose Cotransporter), Member 11 2 3
- Sodium-Dependent Glucose Cotransporter 3 4
- Na(+)/Myo-Inositol Cotransporter 2 3 4
- Sodium/Glucose Cotransporter KST1 3 4
- Sodium/Myo-Inositol Transporter 2 3 4
- SMIT2 3 4
External Ids for SLC5A11 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC5A11 Gene
Cotransporters, such as SLC5A11, represent a major class of proteins that make use of ion gradients to drive active transport for the cellular accumulation of nutrients, neurotransmitters, osmolytes, and ions Roll et al. (2002) [PubMed 12039040].[supplied by OMIM, Mar 2008]
GeneCards Summary for SLC5A11 Gene
SLC5A11 (Solute Carrier Family 5 Member 11) is a Protein Coding gene. Among its related pathways are Transport of glucose and other sugars, bile salts and organic acids, metal ions and amine compounds. GO annotations related to this gene include transporter activity and symporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC5A9.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC5A11 Gene
Involved in the sodium-dependent cotransport of myo-inositol (MI) with a Na(+):MI stoichiometry of 2:1. Exclusively responsible for apical MI transport and absorption in intestine. Also can transport D-chiro-inositol (DCI) but not L-fructose. Exhibits stereospecific cotransport of both D-glucose and D-xylose. May induce apoptosis through the TNF-alpha, PDCD1 pathway. May play a role in the regulation of MI concentration in serum, involving reabsorption in at least the proximal tubule of the kidney.