Aliases for SLC17A7 Gene
- Solute Carrier Family 17 Member 7 2 3 4
- Solute Carrier Family 17 (Vesicular Glutamate Transporter), Member 7 2 3 5
- Solute Carrier Family 17 (Sodium-Dependent Inorganic Phosphate Cotransporter), Member 7 2 3
- Brain-Specific Na(+)-Dependent Inorganic Phosphate Cotransporter 3 4
- VGLUT1 3 4
- BNPI 3 4
- Brain-Specific Na-Dependent Inorganic Phosphate Cotransporter 3
- Vesicular Glutamate Transporter 1 2
External Ids for SLC17A7 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for SLC17A7 Gene
The protein encoded by this gene is a vesicle-bound, sodium-dependent phosphate transporter that is specifically expressed in the neuron-rich regions of the brain. It is preferentially associated with the membranes of synaptic vesicles and functions in glutamate transport. The protein shares 82% identity with the differentiation-associated Na-dependent inorganic phosphate cotransporter and they appear to form a distinct class within the Na+/Pi cotransporter family. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
GeneCards Summary for SLC17A7 Gene
SLC17A7 (Solute Carrier Family 17 Member 7) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with SLC17A7 include spinocerebellar ataxia 27 and schizophrenia. Among its related pathways are Circadian entrainment and Nicotine addiction. GO annotations related to this gene include L-glutamate transmembrane transporter activity and inorganic phosphate transmembrane transporter activity. An important paralog of this gene is SLC17A8.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for SLC17A7 Gene
Mediates the uptake of glutamate into synaptic vesicles at presynaptic nerve terminals of excitatory neural cells. May also mediate the transport of inorganic phosphate.