Aliases for PRKRA Gene
- Protein Activator Of Interferon Induced Protein Kinase EIF2AK2 2 3
- Protein Kinase, Interferon-Inducible Double Stranded RNA Dependent Activator 2 3 5
- Protein Activator Of The Interferon-Induced Protein Kinase 2 3 4
- Protein Kinase, Interferon-Inducible Double-Stranded RNA-Dependent Activator 3 4
- PKR-Associating Protein X 3 4
- PKR-Associated Protein X 3 4
- PACT 3 4
External Ids for PRKRA Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for PRKRA Gene
This gene encodes a protein kinase activated by double-stranded RNA which mediates the effects of interferon in response to viral infection. Mutations in this gene have been associated with dystonia. Alternative splicing results in multiple transcript variants. [provided by RefSeq, Nov 2008]
GeneCards Summary for PRKRA Gene
PRKRA (Protein Activator Of Interferon Induced Protein Kinase EIF2AK2) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with PRKRA include dystonia 16 and dystonia. Among its related pathways are Gene Expression and Mitotic Prophase. GO annotations related to this gene include poly(A) RNA binding and identical protein binding. An important paralog of this gene is TARBP2.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for PRKRA Gene
Activates EIF2AK2/PKR in the absence of double-stranded RNA (dsRNA), leading to phosphorylation of EIF2S1/EFI2-alpha and inhibition of translation and induction of apoptosis. Required for siRNA production by DICER1 and for subsequent siRNA-mediated post-transcriptional gene silencing. Does not seem to be required for processing of pre-miRNA to miRNA by DICER1. Promotes UBC9-p53/TP53 association and sumoylation and phosphorylation of p53/TP53 at Lys-386 at Ser-392 respectively and enhances its activity in a EIF2AK2/PKR-dependent manner (By similarity).