Aliases for PRKRA Gene
- Protein Activator Of Interferon Induced Protein Kinase EIF2AK2 2 3 5
- Protein Activator Of The Interferon-Induced Protein Kinase 2 3 4
- Protein Kinase, Interferon-Inducible Double Stranded RNA Dependent Activator 2 3
- Protein Kinase, Interferon-Inducible Double-Stranded RNA-Dependent Activator 3 4
- PKR-Associating Protein X 3 4
- PKR-Associated Protein X 3 4
External Ids for PRKRA Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for PRKRA Gene
This gene encodes a protein kinase activated by double-stranded RNA which mediates the effects of interferon in response to viral infection. Mutations in this gene have been associated with dystonia. Alternative splicing results in multiple transcript variants. [provided by RefSeq, Nov 2008]
GeneCards Summary for PRKRA Gene
PRKRA (Protein Activator Of Interferon Induced Protein Kinase EIF2AK2) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with PRKRA include Dystonia 16 and Dystonia. Among its related pathways are Cellular Transformation by HTLV1 and NF-KappaB Family Pathway. GO annotations related to this gene include poly(A) RNA binding and identical protein binding. An important paralog of this gene is TARBP2.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for PRKRA Gene
Activates EIF2AK2/PKR in the absence of double-stranded RNA (dsRNA), leading to phosphorylation of EIF2S1/EFI2-alpha and inhibition of translation and induction of apoptosis. Required for siRNA production by DICER1 and for subsequent siRNA-mediated post-transcriptional gene silencing. Does not seem to be required for processing of pre-miRNA to miRNA by DICER1. Promotes UBC9-p53/TP53 association and sumoylation and phosphorylation of p53/TP53 at Lys-386 at Ser-392 respectively and enhances its activity in a EIF2AK2/PKR-dependent manner (By similarity).