Aliases for PPP1R14A Gene
- Protein Phosphatase 1 Regulatory Inhibitor Subunit 14A 2 3 5
- Protein Phosphatase 1, Regulatory (Inhibitor) Subunit 14A 2 3
- Protein Kinase C-Potentiated Inhibitor Protein Of 17 KDa 3 4
- 17-KDa PKC-Potentiated Inhibitory Protein Of PP1 2 3
- 17 KDa PKC-Potentiated Inhibitory Protein Of PP1 3 4
- PKC-Potentiated Inhibitory Protein Of PP1 2 3
External Ids for PPP1R14A Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for PPP1R14A Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for PPP1R14A Gene
The protein encoded by this gene belongs to the protein phosphatase 1 (PP1) inhibitor family. This protein is an inhibitor of smooth muscle myosin phosphatase, and has higher inhibitory activity when phosphorylated. Inhibition of myosin phosphatase leads to increased myosin phosphorylation and enhanced smooth muscle contraction. Alternatively spliced transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been noted for this gene. [provided by RefSeq, Sep 2011]
GeneCards Summary for PPP1R14A Gene
PPP1R14A (Protein Phosphatase 1 Regulatory Inhibitor Subunit 14A) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with PPP1R14A include dracunculiasis and cutaneous anthrax. Among its related pathways are Oxytocin signaling pathway and Activation of cAMP-Dependent PKA. GO annotations related to this gene include protein phosphatase inhibitor activity. An important paralog of this gene is PPP1R14B.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for PPP1R14A Gene
Inhibitor of PPP1CA. Has over 1000-fold higher inhibitory activity when phosphorylated, creating a molecular switch for regulating the phosphorylation status of PPP1CA substrates and smooth muscle contraction.