Aliases for MYL6 Gene
- Myosin Light Chain 6 2 3 5
- Myosin, Light Polypeptide 6, Alkali, Smooth Muscle And Non-Muscle 2 3
- Myosin, Light Chain 6, Alkali, Smooth Muscle And Non-Muscle 2 3
- Myosin Light Chain Alkali 3 3 4
- 17 KDa Myosin Light Chain 3 4
- Myosin Light Chain A3 3 4
- MLC-3 3 4
- LC17 3 4
- Smooth Muscle And Nonmuscle Myosin Light Chain Alkali 6 4
- Myosin Light Polypeptide 6 3
External Ids for MYL6 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for MYL6 Gene
Myosin is a hexameric ATPase cellular motor protein. It is composed of two heavy chains, two nonphosphorylatable alkali light chains, and two phosphorylatable regulatory light chains. This gene encodes a myosin alkali light chain that is expressed in smooth muscle and non-muscle tissues. Genomic sequences representing several pseudogenes have been described and two transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been identified for this gene. [provided by RefSeq, Jul 2008]
GeneCards Summary for MYL6 Gene
MYL6 (Myosin Light Chain 6) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with MYL6 include Fish Allergy. Among its related pathways are Semaphorin interactions and Sertoli-Sertoli Cell Junction Dynamics. GO annotations related to this gene include calcium ion binding and structural constituent of muscle. An important paralog of this gene is MYL6B.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for MYL6 Gene
Regulatory light chain of myosin. Does not bind calcium.
Myosins are a large family of motor proteins that share the common features of ATP hydrolysis (ATPase enzyme activity), actin binding and potential for kinetic energy transduction. Originally isolated from muscle cells, almost all eukaryotic cells are known to contain myosins.