Aliases for KNSTRN Gene
- Small Kinetochore-Associated Protein, Kinetochore-Localized Astrin-Binding Protein, TRAF4 Associated Factor 1 3
- Kinetochore-Localized Astrin/SPAG5-Binding Protein 4
- Small Kinetochore Associated Protein 3
- Chromosome 15 Open Reading Frame 23 2
- Putative TRAF4-Associated Factor 1 3
- TRAF4-Associated Factor 1 4
- HSD11 3
External Ids for KNSTRN Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for KNSTRN Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for KNSTRN Gene
GeneCards Summary for KNSTRN Gene
KNSTRN (Kinetochore Localized Astrin/SPAG5 Binding Protein) is a Protein Coding gene.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for KNSTRN Gene
Essential component of the mitotic spindle required for faithful chromosome segregation and progression into anaphase (PubMed:19667759). Promotes the metaphase-to-anaphase transition and is required for chromosome alignment, normal timing of sister chromatid segregation, and maintenance of spindle pole architecture (PubMed:19667759, PubMed:22110139). The astrin (SPAG5)-kinastrin (SKAP) complex promotes stable microtubule-kinetochore attachments (PubMed:21402792). Required for kinetochore oscillations and dynamics of microtubule plus-ends during live cell mitosis, possibly by forming a link between spindle microtubule plus-ends and mitotic chromosomes to achieve faithful cell division (PubMed:23035123). May be involved in UV-induced apoptosis via its interaction with PRPF19; however, these results need additional evidences (PubMed:24718257).