Aliases for HMGN2 Gene
- High Mobility Group Nucleosomal Binding Domain 2 2 3 5
- High Mobility Group Nucleosome-Binding Domain-Containing Protein 2 3 4
- High-Mobility Group (Nonhistone Chromosomal) Protein 17 2 3
- High-Mobility Group Nucleosomal Binding Domain 2 2 3
- HMG17 3 4
- Nonhistone Chromosomal Protein HMG-17 3
- High Mobility Group Protein N2 3
External Ids for HMGN2 Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for HMGN2 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for HMGN2 Gene
The protein encoded by this gene binds nucleosomal DNA and is associated with transcriptionally active chromatin. Along with a similar protein, HMGN1, the encoded protein may help maintain an open chromatin configuration around transcribable genes. The protein has also been found to have antimicrobial activity against bacteria, viruses and fungi. [provided by RefSeq, Oct 2014]
GeneCards Summary for HMGN2 Gene
HMGN2 (High Mobility Group Nucleosomal Binding Domain 2) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with HMGN2 include limited scleroderma. GO annotations related to this gene include poly(A) RNA binding and nucleosomal DNA binding. An important paralog of this gene is HMGN4.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for HMGN2 Gene
Binds to the inner side of the nucleosomal DNA thus altering the interaction between the DNA and the histone octamer. May be involved in the process which maintains transcribable genes in a unique chromatin conformation (By similarity).