Aliases for ASPM Gene
- Abnormal Spindle Microtubule Assembly 2 3 5
- MCPH5 3 4
- Asp (Abnormal Spindle) Homolog, Microcephaly Associated (Drosophila) 2
- Asp (Abnormal Spindle)-Like, Microcephaly Associated (Drosophila) 2
- Asp (Abnormal Spindle) Homolog, Microcephaly Associated 3
- Abnormal Spindle-Like Microcephaly-Associated Protein 3
External Ids for ASPM Gene
Previous HGNC Symbols for ASPM Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for ASPM Gene
This gene is the human ortholog of the Drosophila melanogaster 'abnormal spindle' gene (asp), which is essential for normal mitotic spindle function in embryonic neuroblasts. Studies in mouse also suggest a role of this gene in mitotic spindle regulation, with a preferential role in regulating neurogenesis. Mutations in this gene are associated with microcephaly primary type 5. Multiple transcript variants encoding different isoforms have been found for this gene.[provided by RefSeq, May 2011]
GeneCards Summary for ASPM Gene
ASPM (Abnormal Spindle Microtubule Assembly) is a Protein Coding gene. Diseases associated with ASPM include Microcephaly 5, Primary, Autosomal Recessive and Autosomal Recessive Primary Microcephaly. GO annotations related to this gene include binding and calmodulin binding.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for ASPM Gene
Probable role in mitotic spindle regulation and coordination of mitotic processes. May have a preferential role in regulating neurogenesis.