Aliases for ALKBH8 Gene
- AlkB Homolog 8, TRNA Methyltransferase 2 3 5
- S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine-Dependent TRNA Methyltransferase ABH8 3 4
- TRNA (Carboxymethyluridine(34)-5-O)-Methyltransferase ABH8 3 4
- Probable Alpha-Ketoglutarate-Dependent Dioxygenase ABH8 3 4
- ABH8 3 4
- TRNA Methyltransferase 9 Homolog (S. Cerevisiae) 2
- AlkB, Alkylation Repair Homolog 8 (E. Coli) 2
- Alkylated DNA Repair Protein AlkB Homolog 8 3
External Ids for ALKBH8 Gene
Previous GeneCards Identifiers for ALKBH8 Gene
GeneCards Summary for ALKBH8 Gene
ALKBH8 (AlkB Homolog 8, TRNA Methyltransferase) is a Protein Coding gene. Among its related pathways are tRNA processing and Gene Expression. GO annotations related to this gene include nucleic acid binding and nucleotide binding. An important paralog of this gene is KIAA1456.
UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot for ALKBH8 Gene
Catalyzes the methylation of 5-carboxymethyl uridine to 5-methylcarboxymethyl uridine at the wobble position of the anticodon loop in tRNA via its methyltransferase domain (PubMed:20123966, PubMed:20308323). Catalyzes the last step in the formation of 5-methylcarboxymethyl uridine at the wobble position of the anticodon loop in target tRNA (PubMed:20123966, PubMed:20308323). Has a preference for tRNA(Arg) and tRNA(Glu), and does not bind tRNA(Lys)(PubMed:20308323). Binds tRNA and catalyzes the iron and alpha-ketoglutarate dependent hydroxylation of 5-methylcarboxymethyl uridine at the wobble position of the anticodon loop in tRNA via its dioxygenase domain, giving rise to 5-(S)-methoxycarbonylhydroxymethyluridine; has a preference for tRNA(Gly) (PubMed:21285950). Required for normal survival after DNA damage (PubMed:20308323). May inhibit apoptosis and promote cell survival and angiogenesis (PubMed:19293182).