Welcome to GeneCards, an integrated database of information dealing with human genes and their
products, assembled, developed and produced by scientists at the Crown Human Genomics Center and the
Bioinformatics Unit of the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot, Israel (the "WIS").
The rights in and to GeneCards (excluding information contained therein obtained from third parties),
vest in Yeda Research and Development Company Ltd., the commercial arm of the WIS ("YEDA").
carefully because they apply to your access to and use of GeneCards. By accessing and using GeneCards
you agree to be bound by all the terms and conditions set forth in these ToU, whereupon, these ToU
shall constitute a legally binding agreement between you and YEDA. If you do not wish to be bound by
these ToU, please refrain from accessing or using GeneCards. In these ToU you shall be referred to as
If you are not an academic non-profit institution, in order to access and use GeneCards, you must
obtain a license by paying applicable licensing fees to and entering into a license agreement with
LifeMap, Inc. ("LifeMap"), which has been granted the exclusive right by YEDA to license the access to
and use of GeneCards to non-academic users worldwide. Such license agreement may be in standard form
or negotiated between you and LifeMap. By accessing and using GeneCards or related information
without LifeMap's prior approval, you agree to be bound by our standard licence agreement and pay any
related fees stipulated therein.. For information on obtaining a customer license to access and use
GeneCards, please contact email@example.com.
- Subject to the terms and conditions of these ToU, YEDA grants Academic User a non-exclusive,
non-transferable and non-sublicenseable licence to access and use GeneCards via the World Wide Web
only, through the index.shtml website (the "Website") or any of
its academic mirrors listed in
No licence is granted hereunder to any enhancement or update of or to the Service.
- Academic User may not sell, lease, rent, sublicense, assign, export or transfer in any other
manner the Service or the rights of access to or use thereof, or any underlying information, software
or other technology, and/or any documents, CDs or any other tangible media representing, embodying or
containing any of the foregoing or portion thereof, to any person or entity.
- The Service is provided free of charge to academic non-profit institutions.
- The licence granted hereunder shall become effective on the date Academic User first accesses
the Service and remains in force until terminated as provided in these ToU.
- YEDA may modify the Service and/or the Website, including, without limitation, by the removal,
reduction or addition of functionality or content; and/or discontinue, temporarily or permanently
access to or use of the Service and/or the Website; and/or change and amend these ToU as provided in
clause 19 below, including, without limitation, by adding terms that YEDA may be required to
"pass through" to Academic User as a result of a separate agreement between YEDA and a third party.
- Although steps have been taken to prevent unauthorized alterations or modifications to the
Service and the Website, security mechanisms implemented for the Service and the Website have inherent
limitations. YEDA expressly disclaims any warranty that queries to the Service and/or the Website and
other information which Academic User transmits over the World Wide Web will be protected from third
party access. Any loss or damage caused to Academic Userarising out of or in connection with the access
to and/or use of the Service and/or the Website will be borne exclusively by User, and Academic
User agrees that neither the WIS nor YEDA nor any of their respective directors, offices or employees
shall have any liability for any such loss or damage.
- Notwithstanding that the access to and use of the Service is currently free of charge and
requires no registration, in consideration for the Licence, YEDA may require Academic User to provide
certain information to the WIS and/or YEDA. If so requested, Academic User agrees to: (i) provide true,
accurate, current and complete information about Academic User as required (such information, the
"User Information"), and (ii) maintain and promptly update the User Information on the Website
to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If YEDA requests Academic User to provide User
Information and Academic User provides such information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or
incomplete, or if YEDA has reason to believe the same, then YEDA shall have the right to suspend or
terminate the licence granted hereunder and to refuse to provide Academic User with any current or
future access to and use of the Service.
- The WIS and/or YEDA are entitled to monitor access to and use of the Service and/or the Website,
as long as no personally identifiable information is collected without User's prior consent. The WIS
and/or YEDA may use certain aggregate information related to the use of the Service and/or the Website,
provided that such information will not include personally identifiable information, except as
authorized by User. Notwithstanding the aforegoing, such personally identifiable information
(if collected) may be provided by the WIS and/or YEDA to third parties in the good faith belief that
such action is reasonably necessary to comply with applicable laws, legal process or to enforce these
ToU. Furthermore, YEDA may provide LifeMap with personally identifiable information with respect to
- Neither the WIS nor YEDA shall provide (or be obligated to provide) Academic User with any support
relating to the use of the Service, except for online documentation contained in the Service.
- The Service and/or the Website may provide links to other World Wide Web sites or resources.
Neither the WIS nor YEDA endorse or are responsible for any data, software or other content available
from such sites or resources or their privacy policies. Academic User acknowledges and agrees that
neither the WIS nor YEDA shall be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss (direct or
indirect) relating to User's use of or reliance on such data, software or other content. Academic User
shall be solely responsible for obtaining any necessary licences and/or for compliance with applicable
- ACADEMIC USER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE DATABASE OF
INFORMATION CONTAINED THEREIN, IS EXPERIMENTAL AND ACADEMIC IN NATURE, AND IS NOT LICENSED BY THE
U.S. FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION OR ANY OTHER REGULATORY BODY.
- THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN 'AS IS' AND 'AS AVAILABLE' BASIS WITH ALL FAULTS. YEDA MAKES NO
WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE OR THE WEBSITE,
INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. WITHOUT DEROGATING FROM THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING,
YEDA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE WILL MEET USER'S REQUIREMENTS OR THAT USE OF THE SERVICE WILL
BE FREE OF INFECTION OR VIRUSES, ERROR-FREE, UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE OR WILL PRODUCE ACCURATE RESULTS.
ACADEMIC USER SHALL BEAR TOTAL AND EXCLUSIVE RESPONSIBILITY AND RISK FOR THE USE OF THE SERVICE.
ACADEMIC USER SHALL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RESULTING DAMAGE TO USER'S COMPUTER SYSTEMS OR LOSS
- ACADEMIC USER AGREES THAT THE WIS, YEDA AND THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES
(COLLECTIVELY, THE "INDEMNITEES") SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIMS, DEMANDS, LIABILITIES,
COSTS, LOSSES, DAMAGES OR EXPENSES (INCLUDING LEGAL COSTS AND ATTORNEYS' FEES) CAUSED TO OR SUFFERED
BY ANY PERSON OR ENTITY (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, USER), THAT DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ARISE OUT OF
OR RESULT FROM USE OF THE SERVICE BY USER, BREACH OF THESE ToU BY ACADEMIC USER OR VIOLATION OF ANY
RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY (ALL OF THE FOREGOING, COLLECTIVELY, "CLAIMS"). WITHOUT DEROGATING
FROM THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, THE INDEMNITEES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR
LOST DATA OR LOST PROFITS WHETHER ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT
- Academic User agrees to indemnify and hold the Indemnities harmless from and against any Claims as
referred to in clause 13 above.
- The licence granted hereunder will automatically terminate if Academic User does not comply with
these ToU. Either YEDA or Academic User may terminate the licence granted hereunder and these ToU (as
between YEDA and User) without notice, at any time, for any reason. Upon any termination of the said
licence and these ToU, User's right to use the Service shall immediately cease. The provisions of
clauses 12, 13 and 14 above and clauses 16 and 17 below shall survive the termination of these ToU.
- Academic User acknowledges and agrees that the Service, including, without limitation, text, data,
compilation, software, sound, photographs, video, graphics or other material contained in or presented
to Academic User as part of the Service and the arrangement thereof, and any YEDA software used in
connection with the Service, contain proprietary and confidential information that is protected by
applicable intellectual property and other laws. Academic User shall not copy, reproduce, distribute
or create derivative works of or otherwise modify the Service or any part thereof.
- Academic User agrees not to reverse engineer, recompile, disassemble, copy or otherwise attempt to
discern the source code of any component of the Service. YEDA reserves the right to terminate any CPU
intensive processes. Academic User may not mount an attack against the Service, attempt to gain root
access, or conduct any other activity intended to disrupt the Service.
- Academic User may not assign or transfer User's rights under these ToU. YEDA may assign all or
any of its rights and obligations under these ToU to any third party without User's consent. These
ToU will inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the successors and assignees of YEDA.
- LifeMap and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to report how our ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to your visits to our site.
- LifeMap uses data from Google's Interest-based advertising or 3rd-party audience data (such as age, gender, and interests) with Google Analytics.
- LifeMap uses Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise online.
- Third-party vendors, including Google, may show our ads on sites across the Internet.
- Academic User may use the Google Ads Settings -https://www.google.com/settings/ads
in order to opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize other Google Display Network ads.
- Changes and amendments to these ToU shall be published on the Website and become effective upon
the date of publication. Academic User will not receive a personal notice of such changes and amendments.
Academic User agrees to monitor the Website regularly for notices of such changes. By continuing to
access and/or use the Service after such changes and amendments become effective, Academic User
shall be deemed to have accepted the modified ToU.
- Academic User agrees to access and use the Service in accordance with all applicable laws and
regulations. Academic User agrees not to use the Service for any illegal or wrongful purposes.
- Academic User agrees not to use any robots, spiders, crawlers or other automated
downloading programs or devices to: (i) continuously and automatically search or
index any content, unless authorized by YEDA, WIS or LifeMap; (ii) extract data,
content, images from our service; or (iii) cause disruption to the working of
the Site. If this Service contains robot exclusion files or robot exclusion
headers, you agree to honor them. Any questions about whether a particular use
is authorized and any requests for permission to publish, reproduce, distribute,
display or make derivative works from any content should be directed to LifeMap.
Academic User may link to, but may not replicate Content.
- If any provision of these ToU is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid,
such provision shall be substituted by a provision which achieves to the greatest extent possible,
the same effect as would have been achieved by the invalid provision and all other provisions shall
remain in full force and effect.
- YEDA's failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these ToU shall not constitute a
waiver of such right or provision.
- These ToU shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Israel,
without regard to or application of choice of law rules or principles. Academic User hereby consents
to the exclusive jurisdiction of the competent courts in Tel-Aviv-Jaffa, Israel.